Thursday, May 21, 2009

IN CONVERSATION WITH LAURIE SWIM

A native Nova Scotian, Laurie Swim is a talented, socially conscious Canadian art quilter. Her works grace many private and public collections including The Museum of Arts and Design in New York and the City of Toronto permanent collection. Strongly influenced by her heritage and the landscape that surrounds her, Laurie's quilts are colorful and full of texture. The use of light and color in her detailed realistic applique work is absolutely stunning and she tells a story with every piece she makes. Laurie began initiating large scale community-made quilts with volunteers in 1995. One of her largest pieces, a 7 ft x 20 ft work titled Breaking Ground: the Hogg's Hollow Memorial 1960 was designed for installation in the York Mills Subway Station in Toronto, Ontario.

LAURIE SWIM

RUNNING WITH SCISSORS STUDIO: Early bird or night owl?
LAURIE SWIM: Neither. I like to start my day about 8 in the morning and be asleep before midnight.

RWSS: Dogs, cats or.........
LAURIE: I grew up with dogs and am fond of them, but they tie you down. I am more of a cat lover. We had a cat a few years back. I watched him get hit by a car and die. We live on a busy road and I don't want to go through that experience again.

CAT SPRUCE SURVIVOR
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: Mac or PC?
LAURIE: PC

RWSS: Right or left handed?
LAURIE: Right.

RWSS: Favorite place you've been or lived?
LAURIE: Outside of Nova Scotia, I have fond memories of my 8 month stay in Denmark in my mid twenties as a weaver's apprentice.

BYGONES
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: Favorite quote?
LAURIE: "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from god." Kurt Vonnegut.

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: Best advice you've ever received?
LAURIE: When I began writing my first book, The Joy of Quilting, I was living in Toronto and my green grocer friend, an older man in Kensington Market reminded me that this was something I wanted to do and to remember to enjoy myself. I have often recalled that sentiment when the work gets tough.

RWSS: Worst advice you've ever received?
LAURIE: I am sure I have received some but can't recall any one thing that stands out. I tend to go with the philosophy that what doesn't kill you will make you stronger or at least make you make better choices next time.

MERMAID'S PURSE
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: Have you ever held a traditional 9-5 job?
LAURIE: When I first started out, I did some waitressing but never a traditional 9-5. I have always tried to survive by my art.

RWSS: If you had to choose another career what would it be?
LAURIE: It has been a long time since I have even thought about alternatives. I started out in the disciplines of Fine Arts: printmaking, sculpture and painting. I have pretty much ended up there as well. The difference is that I use fabric as my medium.

RWSS: Are there any of your own pieces that you can't bear to part with?
LAURIE: There are some such as the small work, Passing Through, which portrays my niece as bridesmaid running about on our wedding day. It is the image on my business card. Mostly I try to think of my art pieces like offspring. They have to grow up and must find their own way in the world.

PASSING THROUGH
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: Do you do anything special for your birthday?
LAURIE: Not really. This year was my 60th, but winter prohibited a big celebration with family and friends so we are trying for this summer instead. It also marks my five years as a cancer survivor.

RICHARD'S PEACE
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: Would you consider moving back to Nova Scotia in 2004 an important point in your journey as an artist?
LAURIE: Yes, returning to the environment I know best after many years away has given me great focus and inspiration for many years to come.

THE NET MINDER
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: Best part of your day?
LAURIE: In seasonal weather, sitting on the porch with my husband, watching the sun set over Sand Cove here in Blue Rocks.

A FAREWELL
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: I'd be lost without...........
LAURIE: My husband Larry and my son Jake and oh yes, my artmaking!

RWSS: What is the most rewarding part of being an Art Quilter?
LAURIE: You never know where it might take you.

STONEHURST FISH STORE II
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: What's on the horizon for........
LAURIE: For the next while, it is preparing new work for the series Land, Sea and Memory for exhibition at the Mary E Black Gallery in Halifax and del Mano in Los Angeles in 2010.

BLUE BOATS IN BLUE ROCKS
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

RWSS: What would you do with a few extra hours each day?
LAURIE: More artmaking, more reading, more writing and more walking.

RWSS: Will we see more large scale community quilts in the future?
LAURIE: There is one in the mix. Plans are being made for creating the Halifax Explosion Memorial Quilt over the next few years.

RWSS: Any words of wisdom?
LAURIE: Never hesitate to ask for something you want. You will never know the answer unless you do. If yes, you win. If it's no, you are then free to move on to the next thing.

END OF THE DAY
PHOTO COURTESY OF LAURIE SWIM

Rags to Riches is Laurie's third book and is like taking a walk with the artist for a twelve year retrospective of her life and times. In it, she tells the stories behind her pictorial quilts, how she achieves them, what they mean to her and what inspires her. Each copy is signed by the artist and includes original sketches and photographs.

THE QUILT AS ART
RAGS TO RICHES

Laurie has been the Eastern Canada Regional Representative for Studio Art Quilt Associates and is currently available for workshops and lectures. To learn more about the artist and her work we encourage you to visit her website www.laurieswim.com.

4 comments:

  1. I have always been a huge fan of Laurie's. Thank you for the Question Answer session and the
    quilt show of her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this delightful interview and for posting so many photos of Laurie Swim's art. I had come across her work and name through the years and am pleased to have been directed to this blog to get a stronger sense of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... amazing....the time and effort that have gone into these pieces. Stunning. Thank You for posting this interview and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew you didn't need oils or acrylics to create this kind of beauty.

    ReplyDelete